Friday, June 02, 2006

Good Enough


"Good enough is good enough whereas perfect is always a pain in the *** and often not worth the trouble anyway." ~John Clark, Without Remorse (Tom Clancy)

As I was sitting here getting ready to do an edit of chapter 4, the internal pressure began to build and with it the fear. I stopped. I recalled the above. I thought how it’s not up to me to make it perfect or really even “good enough”. (What is good enough anyway? Coherent within the time I have to devote to it? Is that good enough?) I thought how it’s not supposed to be hard. I thought how I should pray, seek the Lord’s guidance in it, ask Him to show me whatever changes need to be made, give me whatever ideas He wants me to put in and just relax.

It’s the flesh that wants to get it perfect (so no one can have a basis to criticize; so readers will offer praise -- always a source of pleasant stimulation, but also of false motivation). It’s the flesh that tries to take control and do it. When the Lord has promised to see it done. The yoke is easy. The burden is light. Relax. All you have to do is read the chapter and make whatever notes occur to you. That’s easy.

And so I did. And yes, I finished the coherence edit of ch 4 and it is good enough.

Onward
Karen